Saint Gonzalo de Amarante Main Church

Cultural Heritage - São Gonçalo


 

Photo Gallery

 Photo: Isabela Kassow/Diadorim Ideias
< >

In 1579, Gonçalo Gonçalves received land from the sesmaria (officially distributed land) in Suassunhão, between São Lourenço River and the current Pedrinhas Beach. He named the land São Gonçalo (Saint Gonzalo) and ordered the building of a chapel in tribute to the saint which was also the patron saint of his home city in Portugal. Historians say the city of São Gonçalo had the chapel as its original landmark - the chapel which was further improved to become the Saint Gonzalo de Amarante Main Church. Others say the first chapel was built in Guaxindiba and, after demolished, was transferred to the current location. The fact is the chapel became a parish in 1643 and the first vicar was named in 1647.

The church façade was originally built in Portuguese baroque style but renovation works made the architectural project be adapted to neoclassic style. In the 1970s, wooden walls and floor were infested by termites and replaced by concrete, iron and tiles. In the Holy Week of 2012, the Via Crucis works were first displayed - they ornate from the church courtyard to the cross on a nearby mount. 


General Information

Address: Coronel Moreira César Street, downtown, São Gonçalo – RJ
Phone: (+55 21) 2712-1000

Browse the Map

Secretaria de Cultura do Estado do Rio de Janeiro Petrobras

Apple Store Google Play

Coordination and Content Production    Diadorim ideias & comunicações