Rio D'Ouro Reservoir

Cultural Heritage - Nova Iguaçu


 

Photo Gallery

Nymphs that guard the fountain. Photo: Isabela Kassow/Diadorim Ideias
< >

Preserved and in full activity, Rio D'Ouro Reservoir, built in 1880, is an architectural jewel of Nova Iguaçu, located on a natural site covered by the Atlantic Rainforest. From its pavilion, there is a footbridge that crosses the reservoir and leads to a fountain made of cast iron designed by the French sculptor Albert-Ernest Carrier Belleuse.

He was the designer of the torches of the staircase at the Paris Opera Theater as well as the professor of the acclaimed sculptor, Auguste Rodin.

Nymphs, carved in the foundries of Val D'Osne in France, guard the fountain adorned by twigs and the Brazilian coat of arms. With a sophisticated hydraulic engineering for the time of its implementation, Rio D'Ouro Reservoir is listed by Instituto Estadual do Patrimônio Cultural ? INEPAC (State Institute of Cultural Heritage).

It is also supplied by six water catchments of Companhia Estadual de Água e Esgoto ? Cedae (Rio de Janeiro State Company of Water and Sewage).

 


General Information

Address: Rio D'Ouro road, Rio D'Ouro Neighborhood, Nova Iguaçu.
Phone: (+55 21) 2332-3451
Opening hours:

Visits with previous schedule.

Browse the Map

Secretaria de Cultura do Estado do Rio de Janeiro Petrobras

Apple Store Google Play

Coordination and Content Production    Diadorim ideias & comunicações