Coffee Cycle Farms

Cultural Heritage - Valença


 

There is a region with 16 farms which tell the history of Valença, the golden era of coffee production and its characters. Some of them have been settings to movies and soap operas. Many are open for visitation and offer music concerts, storytelling events, and bars. The highlights are:

Bocaina Farm, open to the public since 2006. It completes now 180 years of existence and was part of the Ciclo do Café Circuit, of which historical farms in the Paraíba River valley are part. For the last 25 years, it has been summer residence to a family who renovated the construction and opened the farm as a tourist attraction. Address: Barra do Piraí-Valença Road, km 17, São Francisco. Visits can be scheduled through (+55 24) 2453-3266 / (+55 24) 2453-8100 / (+55 24) 98116-8258.

Florença Farm: Next to Saudade Stance and Pedras Altas and São Luiz Farms, Florença was built 150 years ago and renovated in 1992. It belonged to the Leite family, a family of prestige during the Coffee Cycle. The farm was featured in soap operas and is open to visits, which must be scheduled by phone. Simple or "Colonial" breakfast or lunch can be served. Address: Ipiabas-Conservatória Road in Valença. Visits can be scheduled through (+55 24) 2438-0124 / 2438-1195.

São João da Prosperidade Farm: Founded in the 19th century, it belonged to the founder of the São Benedito settling, which originated the city of Barra do Piraí. The farm can be found between Barra do Piraí and Ipiabas. Phone: (+55 24) 99967-0333.

Taquara Farm: Land owned by Commander João Pereira da Silva originated this farm, which was called "Taquara" by slaves due to the abundance of  Bambusataquara, a fine bamboo species. It is currently owned by João Carlos Tadeu Botelho Pereira Streva, a fifth generation descendant of the commander. It still produces coffee, as well as livestock. Visits can be scheduled and a "colonial" breakfast is offered, as well as a calendar of festivities throughout the year. Address: Barra do Piraí-Valença Road, km 44,5. Phone: (+55 24) 2443-1221 / 1273.

Santa Mônica Farm/Duque de Caxias Manor: Within the Barão de Juparanã district, on the left bank of the Paraíba do Sul River, the farm can be found. It is owned by Embrapa (Brazilian Enterprise for Agricultural Research) and is not open for visitation. Built in 1820, it was one of most prominent farms during the coffee production golden era. Owned by the Marquise of Baependy, it received visitors such as Emperor Dom Pedro II and other members of the Portuguese Court. In 1880, the Duke of Caxias (Marechal Luís Alves de Lima e Silva) died in the property. He was the father-in-law of the Baron of Santa Mônica. Listed by Instituto Estadual do Patrimônio Cultural-Inepac (State Institute of Cultural Heritage), the Santa Mônica Manor has 80 halls, 105 windows, 144 doors, and six internal staircases. At a room on the first floor, the slaves in charge of domestic tasks slept, which is why there are no doors in the area, only three small grilled windows.


Secretaria de Cultura do Estado do Rio de Janeiro Petrobras

Apple Store Google Play

Coordination and Content Production    Diadorim ideias & comunicações