Cachoeira do Mato Dentro Farm

Cultural Heritage - Vassouras


 

Photo Gallery

Cachoeira do Mato Dentro Farm. Photo: Isabela Kassow/Diadorim Ideias
< >

Browse the Map

Built in 1874 in neoclassical style, the farm maintains the original characteristics of the 19th century. Its first owner was the Baron of Ribeirão, who built the main house on the virgin lands on the banks of the Paraíba do Sul River and on the margins of the railroad. After setting up a mill to process the coffee, the Baron enriched in a short period of time, due to the fee he charged for cleaning the grains.

 

The farm retains the single stone bathroom belonging to slaves still found in Brazil. "Slaves had to bathe with herbs and annatto because they would get allergies from the dust that was released from the coffee grains, developing what was known as the 'coffee leprosy'", explains Luis Rangel, current owner of the farm. At the entrance, there is a grand iron staircase without carbon, which never rusts, and the inscription "1874" on the gate, in allusion to the year of the Baron's death. Centennial fig trees, silk floss trees, and a cave with a lake and the image of Our Lady complete the entrance area of the house, around which, one can still find the coffee yards and slave quarters.

 

Specialized in stonemasonry ("cantaria", in Portuguese), the slaves of the farm used to sing ("cantar", in Portuguese) as they worked removing the stones from the quarry to the construction of the staircase, what originated the term "canteiro de obras" (the Portuguese for "construction site"). Inside the main house, the dining table, original and with 40 seats, is imposing.

 

The Baron's furniture collection also consists of double beds (in Portuguese, "camas de viúva", or widow beds, in a literal translation) with swan-shaped headboards (because the swan, throughout life, have only one partner), kerosene refrigerators, wooden tables with legs in the shape of lion claws, and an oratory to Our Lady of Sorrows. Bathtubs in Carrara marble, huge cans of food, and pans to make "rapadura" (a local brown sugar candy) are some of the preserved utensils.

 

The farm was one of the first properties to become a farm-hotel (a country resort) in the region, in 1940. Nowadays, the farm offers horseback and ox cart riding, as well as walking tours, through the woods and the old coffee plantations. One can also schedule colonial breakfasts or lunches with delicacies such as homemade pasta, "farofa" (a local manioc flour dish), and coffee harvested on the farm and pounded in a mortar, besides 35 types of sweets. The Cachoeira do Mato Dentro Farm is highly sought after during the Coffee Valley Festival, as well as other historic farms, such as Cachoeira Grande (Km 43 on RJ - 127 Highway), Pocinho (on Barra do Piraí Road) and São Luis da Boa Sorte (on BR -393 Highway).


General Information

Address: Luis Rangel Road, Km 173 on BR-393 Highway
Phone: (+55 24) 99992-7350/98114-9655 (Luis Rangel) / (+55 24) 99914-2286 (Farm)

Secretaria de Cultura do Estado do Rio de Janeiro Petrobras

Apple Store Google Play

Coordination and Content Production    Diadorim ideias & comunicações